DNF In Action
DNF works hard in many big and small ways to be an environmentally and socially sustainable business. Here are some examples:
- Durango Natural Foods Co-op purchases only unbleached paper with 100% post consumer waste content for use in office machines. In addition, we recycle paper by using both sides.
- We participate in the LPEA 100% Club by purchasing enough wind-generated power to offset over 100% of the electricity we use.
- 20 – 50% of the produce we sell during the height of the growing season is locally grown.
- While many of our local growers are not certified organic, they follow organic and sustainable growing practices, and the remainder of our produce is certified organic.
- 7-10% of products throughout the store are locally and regionally produced including soaps and body care items, granola, eggs, meat, roasted coffee beans, sweet treats and more.
- DNF has switched all of our lighting to more efficient compact fluorescent bulbs and, as CF bulbs burn out, we are transitioning to LEDs.
- DNF switched all freezer lighting to energy efficient LEDs.
- DNF encourages the reuse of bags, and supports local efforts to reduce our community’s environmental footprint. In 2007, we stopped offering new plastic bags to customers at the register. Instead, we accept used paper/plastic bags for customer re-use, offer inexpensive reusable bag options, and provide paper bags with 100% reclaimed and recycled fiber content for 10 cents each.
- Our Deli, Juice Bar and Produce Department save compostable food scraps and offer free organic compost to customers.
- The paints we use in the store are completely free of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
- All receipt paper is BPA-free.
- We recycle all recyclable waste generated by the store, including receipts left behind by customers.
- Our Produce and Bulk Departments carry oxo-biodegradable bags that can be composted, and the Deli containers are made from recycled plastic, coffee cups from recycled paper, and flatware from potato and corn starches.
- DNF is a founding member of Local First, an evolving local independent business organization supporting local businesses and producers.
- DNF provides excellent heath benefits to many of our employees, and a wellness program that includes supplements discounts, discounts on massage and more to all employees.
- DNF was the first grocery store in town to voluntarily label Non-GMO Verified products throughout the store, and we have developed a rigorous GMO buying policy.